Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) Awareness: DISABILITY RESOURCE CENTER/C Sears TBI 80 Ferry Boulevard Suite 210 Stratford, CT, 06615

Sunday August 1, 2010 between the hours of 10a.m.-3 p.m. at the Stop & Shop located at 5 River Road, Wilton, Ct. 06897

My mission for this day is to raise awareness in the public regarding Traumatic Brain Injuries TBI Brain injuries last forever. In fact, they only cure is prevention. “Those with TBI need their voices heard.” My goal is to 1 prevent further tragedies from happening, 2 increase the resource base for those that are presently living with a traumatic brain injury 3 raise funds to apply towards various projects that will benefit both prevention efforts and supportive services

National PABI Plan
My name is Craig Sears and I am a survivor of Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Over 20 years ago I experienced my life change in the blink of an eye. I was in a motor vehicle accident and sustained a TBI I lost everything. I found myself alone and getting into trouble ending up in shelters local lockups and numerous mental health facilities all over the state. There was no help for TBI Survivor’s I continued to spiral down and soon I wound up homeless, and then in prison.

My advocacy started as a means to overcome my own difficulties. It has become my mission to ensure that no one experience what I had. In the 1990s I became a spokesman for Connecticut Brain Injury Association. I advocated for Connecticut's Acquired Brain Injury Medicaid Waiver implemented in 1999. This waiver allows the state to permit organizations to provide non-medical services to people with TBI enabling them to live in the community outside of nursing homes and institutions

I have since become a national voice for TBI survivors working with advocacy groups such as Goodwill the Brain Injury Association and the New Haven Vet Center.

In 2009 I teamed up with The Sarah Jane Brain Project to help promote the need for a national Pediatric Acquired Brain Injury (PABI) medical plan. The Sarah Jane Brain Project is named for Sarah Jane Donohue a 5 year old New York girl who was shaken by her baby nurse when she was 5 days old. Her father Patrick Donohue spearheads a national effort to standardize the way brain injuries are treated for children. I've been proud to stand up with Patrick in Washington, D.C. and other cities across the country to raise awareness on this issue. Sarah Jane's story and my own are just 2 of thousands. The current health care system is failing many who suffer from brain injury regardless of the cause. And the consequences can be life long and costly.

PABI is a brain injury to anyone under the age of 25 which is when the brain fully matures. PABI includes all brain injuries caused by trauma from falls motor vehicle accidents violence/assault sports gunshot wounds and bicycle accidents. PABI is the leading cause of death and disability for children under 15 years of age in the United States. Over 5,000 deaths occur annually due to PABI over 17,000 children annually suffer from permanent disability due to PABI and over 1,000,000 children are hospitalized each year due to PABI. In addition since most children's brains aren't considered developed until age 25 many of the Military Veterans returning from Iraq and Afghanistan with TBI are actually considered PABI.

The money raised sponsors TBI awareness. Also helps to Supply paper stamps copies and other office items TBI support group meetings Media and other advertising And much more

Making a donation by check please make the check payable to:
DISABILITY RESOURCE CENTER/C Sears (TBI)

mail it to> Disability Resource Center of Fairfield County/C Sears TBI 80 Ferry Boulevard Suite 210 Stratford Connecticut 06615

(DRC) is a 501c3 non-profit organization all Donations are tax-deductible

Thank you in advance for your contribution!


Craig Sears A Voice for Traumatic Brain Injury
http://www.myspace.com/searscraig