RED BANK, NJ Congressman Frank Pallone, Jr. Cannon House Office Building Room 237 Washington, D.C. 20515-3006

The more I think about Congressman Frank Pallone (D-NJ6), holding up the most broad-based, bi-partisan healthcare initiative in the entire Congress,” the more I realize as a survivor of TBI - Voice, I feel that not only is it an insult to those Members of Congress who have already signed on as a co-sponsor, This is also very much of an insult to me and every, brain, injury, survivor, veteran, children, young adult, in the United States!

PABI is the leading cause of death and disability for children and young adults from birth through 25 years of age in the United States. Over 5, 000 deaths occur annually due to PTBI, over 17, 000 annually suffer from permanent disability due to PABI, and over 1, 000, 000 are hospitalized each year due to PABI. In addition, since most brains aren't fully developed until age 25, many of the Military Veterans returning from Iraq and Afghanistan with TBI are actually considered PABI. Pediatric Acquired Brain Injuries (PABI) include all traumatic causes plus brain injuries caused by brain tumors, strokes, meningitis, insufficient oxygen, poisoning, ischemia and substance abuse.

I can honestly say for myself, I wish on that July afternoon 22 years ago, that there was a national PABI plan in place. I wish that the States, doctors, and nurses, and all the cops, judges, and people whoever had the power over me had a clue about TBI. I wish that when I needed it, there were people to turn to, answers to the questions I didn't even know I had, and the resources in place for me. I wonder how different my life would be today.

Sincerely

Craig Sears A Voice For Traumatic Brain Injury

Craig Sears
The Sarah Jane Brain Foundation
339 5th Avenue - Suite 405 New York, NY 10016
Phone# 212.576.1180 email: craig@thebrainproject.org
www.thebrainproject.org