About me

My photo

My name is Craig Sears. I'm a survivor of a traumatic brain injury. My journey has made me all too familiar with the difficulties faced by individuals and their families working through the arbitrary system of care.

It was July. It was a beautiful Connecticut summer afternoon and I was out riding my motorcycle. I had just turned 20, and had a lot going for me. I was making a very good life for myself. I had a great family and a good job in construction and as a part-time mechanic. I was making good money for a kid my age. I had a great girlfriend and lots of friends. I had two cars and lived in a nice condo right on the water. I was living the American Dream. I'll leave that up to you to fill it in because I had everything a man could have possibly wanted — and in a heartbeat it was all gone.

Suddenly, I came up over a hill, and there was a car going the wrong way. It was too late. I couldn't stop and we collided. I was thrown nearly 40 feet over on-coming traffic. I was not wearing a helmet and I landed head first into a curb, just missing a telephone pole. I have no memory of the next 6 months. That period of time is a Black Hole in my life. I was in and out of a coma, undergoing multiple surgeries. The doctors operated on my head, and did what they could to patch up my body. This was the beginning of my physical recovery.

Though my body was healing, a bigger problem went untreated and no one realized it. Insult was added to injury. This is where I fell through the cracks. Despite having my head in a cast, no one identified the true nature of my injury as being a Traumatic Brain injury. That oversight would cost me dearly in the years to come. I had no idea of the hell I was in for. Had I known what lay ahead, I would never have fought so damn hard to make it. I would have given up, lay down and died. My struggles were constant, and I had to relearn everything. How to walk, how to talk, how to eat, how to use the bathroom; How to care for myself, and then there was the incessant pain, the physical pain of my body overcoming weakness and injury. Worse yet, there was the anguish of not knowing who I was.

Things went from bad to worse. Soon, the treatment center I was in transferred me out to a local hospital and put me in a mental health ward. (I was told there were no other services offered for people with traumatic brain injury.) I spent the next 9 months locked in against my will, slowly regaining my memory. It was a locked ward and the doors only opened when someone came in or out. I started sneaking out when they would bring in breakfast, lunch or dinner trays. I would run to the back stairwell where the service elevators were, jump in go to the first floor and dart out the front or side door. I would get a couple hours of peace before I would get brought back by the police, because the hospital would always call them and tell them I had snick out again. I was angry and I wanted out. I would sit by the phone for hours trying to figure out how to make a call out. I finally figured it out and began calling out to anyone who would listen to me - Town officials, State Government anyone who could get me out. While I knew I didn't need to be there, I did know that I needed help in other areas. But the help I needed wasn't available. Keep in mind traumatic brain injury is not a mental illness.

Eventually, a sympathetic ear at the Governor's office helped arrange a meeting between my family, my doctors, and a state representative. I told them all, I wanted out and I needed out and it was clear to them that I was right. But where was I to go, I had only one real option and that was my family. Yet I didn't want to be a burden to my parents. I applied for Section 8 disability housing, and was put on a waiting list. I was turned down repeatedly. So in the meantime, my family helped me get into my own one room efficiency apartment. While a big step up from the psychiatric ward, this too, was far from ideal. I now found myself living alone, except for the roaches and rats, and vulnerable, in an area known for drug dealers and prostitutes. I wandered those mean streets, trying to regain some kind of memory. I would watch other people to see what they were doing, how they were acting in order to regain anything that I knew how to do before the accident. All I could figure out at this time was that this was not who I was.

With time and my family's help, things began to improve for me. My mother got me a weight set, my father bought me a bicycle and I started volunteering at a local hospital, which gave me access to their physical therapy rooms. I'd learn what they were doing for rehabilitation and go back home at night to do the exercises on my own in order to regain my strength and abilities. But without any medical oversight, I'd overdo it and I would hurt myself repeatedly. There were many times, my mother took me to the hospital because I hurt so bad that I couldn't walk or move.

Socially, things were awkward. One day after volunteering, I was leaving the hospital and I saw a woman fall to the floor. My instincts were to grab a wheelchair, put her in it and run her into the emergency room. I thought I was doing the right thing. But in reality, my actions upset the emergency room staff, and the next day, the hospital asked me not to return. I was crushed.

One of the lasting consequences of my Traumatic Brain Injury was that I would slur my words when I spoke and my balance would be off when I walked. Instead of realizing that this is how I am, people just assumed that I was drinking or using drugs. No one would take me serious. It became harder and harder to find where I fit in. For example, I was riding my bicycle and a Bridgeport police officer pulled me over. I explained to him that I suffer from a brain injury. He then asked, "Are you on medication?" when I said yes, he gave me a ticket for riding my bicycle while impaired and then sent me on my way.

While I was struggling daily to live with my brain injury, I ended up with several minor arrests for public urination and things of that nature. When I would ask for help it resulted in me constantly be thrown into State Psychiatric hospitals, such as the former Fairfield Hills Hospital in Newtown Connecticut... After being 4 point restrained and forcefully drugged multiple times and having other patients spitting, urinating, throwing shit at me, and watching them have full blown conversations with themselves, I realized that this type of life wasn't for me. It was like a stay in "One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest." It was cruel and unusual punishment, no one should be treated the way they treated us. My life turned into a constant tug of war. If it was not a mental institution it was a jail cell.

For example, I was walking down the street and I had to use the bathroom. It was very early in the morning and nothing was open. I saw a wooded area by the train tracks. I was using the bathroom behind a tree. I was seen by a Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA police officer that was patrolling the area with his dog. When I spotted him I zipped up my pants and started walking away. When he saw me he let the dog loose. I was severely attacked and had to go to the hospital to be treated for my injuries. When I was released from the hospital I was placed in police custody and informed that I was under arrest for attempted attack on a peace officer because my leg moved when the MTA police dog was attacking me. They accused me of trying to kick the dog. I knew this was crap because I was the one taken to the hospital, not the dog. But the following day I was brought to court. I never saw an attorney; they just continued my case and sent me to Bridgeport Correctional Center for two weeks. I returned to court, this went on for about three months and from there I was transferred to a mental institution for another three months, (Connecticut Valley Hospital in Middletown,) and then I was released on probation. It was like a revolving door, I can't count how many times they did this to me.

With the help of my family, I moved into and out of different apartments. But the pieces of my mind and my life didn't fit quite right. I was restless and depressed. I struggled to cope. I turned to what I saw so many others do on the streets: alcohol and drugs. I learned the wrong way to deal with my problems. I thought it would help me forget all that I suffered through. Everything I long fought for, I now started to lose. It was all slipping away. I found myself alone and getting into trouble more often. I ended up in shelters, local lockups, and numerous mental health facilities all over the state. I continued on my downward spiral and soon I wound up homeless; and not long after that in prison.


The police, the court, the judge and the law, didn't know, care or consider Traumatic Brain Injury, or the fact that I had one. And once behind bars, neither did the warden. I served 5 years for what other people would sleep off overnight in the local lockup, and then clear up with a brief court appearance. Instead, I ended up inside a level four, high security prison, surrounded by gang members, rapists, killers, and child molesters. I was locked in an 8'x10' cell twenty-four hours a day with a vicious inmate next to me. I was always so scared to come out of my cell but at the same time I was scared to be in it, because of all the other inmates and because you had no choice but to be in a 2 man cell.

For example, One day I started to realize that a lot of my things were going missing. When I realized my cellie was stealing from me, I let the Correctional Officer (CO) know during wreck what was going on and I asked for a cell change. I can only imagine that the CO said something to him because after wreck, my cellie attacked me in my cell. After every wreck they do a count and when the CO came by my cell he saw us on the floor fighting. Next thing I knew there were CO's pulling us off one another and putting us in handcuffs and shackles and dragging us off to the AD/SEG for 2 weeks. From there I was sent back to my cell and was put on CTQ for the next 30 days, and I lost all my property (everything) - CTQ is Confinement to Quarters 23 hours a day lockdown, were you can only come out of your cell for a shower, in reality it's 15min. and ASU is Administrative Segregation Unit also known as AD/SEG or the hole. I guess the difference between the two is that if an inmate receives CTQ as a disciplinary action the inmate stays in his same house (cell) but is confined to that area. Where if he was doing AD/SEG time he is in a totally different housing unit; things like this were always happening to me.

I was put in prison for Violation of probation. Due to lack of services for TBI sufferers, I was again homeless. I was walking down a road and I needed to pee and nothing was open. Due to my previous experience with the MTA dog, I was very leery to relieve myself outside. So when I saw a garage open I went inside and took care of business. As I turned around I saw a Fairfield Police Officer standing there. I asked him, "is there a problem officer?" The next thing I knew I felt a hand on the back of my neck and I was thrown to the ground. From there I was handcuffed and thrown in the back of a police car. The police officer got in the car and once he was driving, I asked again "What's wrong, I was just taking a piss?"

The next day I was brought to court, from there to Bridgeport Correctional Center. I was housed and brought back and forth and the last day I was brought to court I was told by the Public Defender/"pretender" that I was going to the Connecticut Valley hospital to a brain injury unit but before this happened I needed to see a judge. Yes, they all knew I had a brain injury and how I needed help, but they chose not to. When I was brought upstairs to the courtroom it was closed off for a private hearing. Someone from the state office of Protection and Advocacy for Persons with Disabilities, a doctor and my mother were there waiting. We were all told I was going to the hospital into a TBI unit, but needed to see the judge first. Bridgeport Superior court judge Lubbie Harper Jr. never heard anyone's statement, he opened my file and closed it and said he was sentencing me to the department of Corrections because they have one of the best mental health systems in the state. I'm still on NO medication and I never saw any shrinks, in or out of jail and I'm NOT mentally ill and when I was put into prison I was put into general population. This time the court gave me 5 years V.O.P. for taking a piss.

It’s bad enough that while behind bars; I received absolutely no help for my disabilities. There was no early release, or time off for good behavior from my sentence. Traumatic Brain Injury or not, I served every measure of that sentence to the fullest. It was hell! 


During my incarcerations, I suffered many indignities and witnessed atrocities. I spent years locked up twenty-three and a half hours a day, only being allowed out to shower and make a phone call. I was constantly sent to the medical ward and stripped absolutely naked and left there for days or weeks at a time. I've witnessed murders and rapes, and there were even nights I would be yelling and screaming in my sleep. Only to be woken up by the CO and put back into a strip cell. Words cannot express the horror of it all. All during a five year prison sentence. Five years that I spent every minute enduring one indignity or another.

Somehow, I survived to be released. Life though continues to be a struggle. I have no friends. I have no money. I have few options, and fewer choices. I am very uncertain of my future. I still want the American Dream, but it feels further away than ever. I want to be hopeful, but I know all too well how quickly good can go bad in life. But I try my best to help those with Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) get the help we need, and to avoid the mistakes, and missteps I made.

They say are opinion matters

Re: Public Hearing & Meeting on Proposed Amendments to the Acquired Brain Injury Medicaid Waivers

I am a brain injury survivor receiving services from the ABI Waiver 1 program. It is easy to confuse me and upset me, so I am ask that everyone remember I do have a brain injury, you can't see my injury, but it is there.

I can't believe they say our opinion matters but yet we only have 3 minutes to talk, fact No one is looking at the bigger picture!

In 2014 - 2016 the community made the State and all of the policy makers very much aware that ABI waiver II was a mistake and will not work for brain injury survivors! But yet we are here today because DSS is making changes to ABI waiver one (a brain injury rehabilitative model) trying to make it just like ABI waiver II a mental health model.

God knows I can relate;

Prior to obtaining waiver services, and as a result of a lack of community based supports, I was imprisoned and institutionalized.

In 1990 the state department of mental health was being sued by 25 brain injury victims who were placed in psychiatric hospitals because there was nowhere else to put them and no services or programs for them. As you know Yes I was one of the victims. Every change DSS has made has hurt me so much that I had to get Office of Protection and Advocacy for Persons with Disabilities (OPA) involved in my ABI program, that's why I'm speaking up; If these changes are hurting me think about the other 450 people on the waiver and what it's doing to them. Prior to obtaining waiver services, and as a result of a lack of community based supports, I was imprisoned and institutionalized.

Click here: http://www.clearinghouse.net/detail.php?id=439&search=

My life today fact: I live and work a program 24/7, I have taken the advice to try and better myself and every time I have, the system has found a way to bring me down and leave me with no room to grow. I understand the advice people have given me and I have used it and have worked it all into my life on more than one occasion. Every time I put the tools in my "tool-box" (or should I say brain) in an attempt to better myself, the system has found a way of pulling me back down. I have kept in this "box" where I'm very limited on what I can do. I believe that my rehabilitation has been curtailed as a result.

I can't help but to be concerned about what the state is going to do to me next, all because I have a Traumatic Brain Injury. It's bad enough the state took and wasted 5 years of my life by putting me in prison, all because I am disabled and they did not want to help me. How can you keep putting your trust into a system that would rather lock you up and throw away the key then help the people who actually need it?

If our opinion really mattered we would not be here today fighting for the same issue(s) we have been fighting for since the beginning.

I encourage all legislators to please ask me questions on this issue so I could better school you on the importance of this matter!

My public and written testimony December 17 2015

Public Hearing,

RE: Replacing DSS Social Workers on Both ABI Waivers.

I am a brain injury survivor receiving services from the ABI Waiver; I am not here to attack anyone, but at the same time, I must ask that at THIS Meeting, no one from the Department of Social Services (herein referred to as DSS) attacks me, or dismisses what I have to say. I may not always say things perfectly, and it is easy for you to confuse me and upset me, so I am asking that everyone remembers I do have a brain injury, you can't see my injury, but it is there. I especially ask that Kathy Bruni not be allowed to attack me or my staff, I have been repeatedly disrespected by her, in meetings, hearings, and recently, when she pulled my staff aside and told them she felt sorry for them because they work with me.

Many people in our community are appalled by that lack of understanding and the quick anger when we question anything she says, unfortunately, for brain injury survivors, this is who you have put in charge of our programs. Attacking or being cruel to me is also seen as an attack on the rest of the brain injury community and their families.

I am here today, because there is little respect within DSS Management for our community, and we do not want to yet again, have decisions made about our future without our input. At an informational meeting between families and DSS, we specifically requested that certain criteria be followed, should DSS put out a request for a private company to take over case management of the Waiver. That input, which seemed to be welcomed, was whole heartedly ignored by DSS, without any explanation to those they told they would listen too, and take into account what families had to say.

This is not a person centered program when convenient and state driven when inconvenience. This is completely unacceptable in our opinion! The ABI waiver for the brain injury community was build for us to survive, not for DSS to use it as witch hunt and play around with the lives of all these people. With that being said, we have to remember why the ABI Waiver was put into action in the first place!

I would also like to add in that I am very happy that my staff tells me everything about my case and keeps me informed it has saved me on so many different occasions from being taken advantage of especially by the DSS.

Take for an example - My service contract with DSS has been changed without my consent. DSS modified Cognitive Behavioral Program service and have redesigned my service hours for Cognitive Behavioral where it is not possible for me to use the entire budget allocated for the service. This change was done without my consent and it violates my signed service plan because my plan only has one service code available on the plan. DSS has informed my doctor that he must comply with the change. I have a big problem that DSS has put me in harm's way and placed me at risk by limiting my access to my entire budget as approved earlier this year. By doing so, DSS has placed me at-risk of re-institutionalization.

This is why the brain injury survivor family member and or his or her conservator, if any, needs to understand that they are the ones making the decisions not the program provider or DSS - they have the right to say no what your suggestion does not work for me. Department of Social Services will tell you one thing, but the laws say another. Especially when DSS changes or cut off your services without having a team meeting and then leaving up to the program provider to repay the services that you received. Yes every brain injury and case is different but the regulations stay the same no matter how it is justified; DSS may act like they are immune to our rights but they are not.

Sec. 17b-260a-1J2c Responsibilities of the Department of Social Services, DSS shall assign social work staff to execute the following ABI responsibilities: implement the approved service plan and coordinate services provided to the individual under the waiver.

Sec. 17b-260a-1G4 The service plan shall be developed by an interdisciplinary team that includes the individual, his or her conservator, if any, the DSS social worker assigned to coordinate the individual’s service plan, a neurophysiologist who is familiar with the individual, other clinical staff as needed, and any other person(s) of the individual’s choice.

When this happens the Department of Social Services has overstepped its authority; it is the interdisciplinary team that makes determinations about the service plan. The Department of Social Services has a responsibility and an obligation to provide services until such time as any changes are made to the plan.

In addition, I have been told I by some politicians that I am not a good advocate and I hit "too hard"- I need to "play the game".

For those who say that, think what you would do if your beloved, precious child was hit by a car tomorrow and can no longer have the life and live the dreams you envisioned for them.

I ask each and every legislator who sat on the panel last year and casually asked Commissiomer Bremby if "waiver two would improve and increase" services to brain injury survivors to ask yourself if his simple "yes" answer would really be what you would accept and trust for your own, endangered child.

I can and should, call you out by name as in review of that Hearing, as on video on CTN, I am appalled - you may have the cushion of income and entitlements, but we do not. I am ashamed of what you did, and continue to do to brain injury survivors, veterans and disabled children and adults in this state.

Re: ABI Waiver Advisory Committee

This is a sorry excuse for an advisory board and no one is looking at the bigger picture! The advisory board and Connecticut Department of Social Services (herein referred to as DSS) had the nerve to say that our "opinion counts", but then they cut me off 1/4 of the way into my speech! How is it that our "opinion counts" when we are continually cut off and shut out? They only want to hear what is convent for them but when the facts are right in front of them they shut us out but still have the balls to say our opinion matters. I understand to a point where maybe us brain injury survivors tend to go off topic as to what they are looking for but DSS as well as all policy makers have to understand that these points we address are meaningful to us and our lives.

In 2014 - 2016 the community made the State and all of the policy makers very much aware that the ABI waiver II was a mistake and will not work for brain injury survivors! Now DSS is making changes to ABI waiver one (a brain injury rehabilitative model) trying to make it just like ABI waiver II a mental health model. Speaking for myself and the rest of the brain injury community we don't want that!

They tend to forget how hard it is to live in a community where we have to look every which way because we are not aware of what might happen and if we will wake up the next day to a program that helps us live our lives as normal as we can.

Every change DSS has made has hurt me so much that I had to get Office of Protection and Advocacy for Persons with Disabilities (OPA) involved in my ABI program, that's why I'm speaking up; If these changes are hurting me think about the other 450 people on the waiver and what it's doing to them. (see below)

I am a brain injury survivor receiving services from the ABI Waiver, It is easy to confuse me and upset me, so I am ask that everyone remember I do have a brain injury, you can't see my injury, but it is there.

On January 11th, I sent a letter to Commissioner Bremby after a meeting with my ABI team and my advocate from OPA, they suggested I make a formal complaint to Commissioner Bremby and Governor Dan Malloy.

I did not write the letter to attack anyone, but at the same time, I have the right to ensure that no one from the Department of Social Services attacks me, for this reason, I asked that Kathy Bruni no longer be allowed to attack me or my staff. I have been repeatedly disrespected by her, in meetings, hearings, and recently, when she pulled my staff aside and told them she felt "sorry" for them because they work with me.

I did nothing to invite the attack from Mrs. Bruni except raise my concerns as an advocate for myself and other survivors. It is difficult to understand why Commissioner Bremby asked Ms. Bruni to represent brain injury survivors when she is repeatedly disrespectful to us. Can you imagine how painful her comments were to me?

Many people in our community are appalled by her lack of understanding and the quick anger when we question anything she says. She insults survivors, attempts to manipulate families, and tries to bully providers. She has done this repeatedly, and although family members, survivors and providers are afraid to say this out loud for fear of retribution by DSS and by Ms. Bruni, I am not.

I also told Commissioner Bremby that since Ms. Bruni attacked me publicly, she must apologize publicly.

In response, Commissioner Bremby wrote back to me and asked me to "move on" from the public attack that Mrs. Bruni initiated against me.

I do not appreciate that response from him as I and many others, saw how he responded when he did not like what was being said in a public Hearing in the Spring of 2014 about his statements. He was so angry that his staff had to stop him from going to the podium to confront the speaker. This is well documented from an independent video recording of the Hearing. DSS has, to this day, targeted that speaker by conducting an illegal audit, it is my understanding that they continue to pursue that individual to this day.

So, I find it hypocritical of DSS and Commissioner Bremby, to tell me to "move on" in my handling of my situation with Mrs. Bruni, as it clear DSS does not do the same.

In addition, it has come to my attention that Commissioner Bremby and DSS are manipulating the slots on the ABI Waiver. They are picking "winners" and "losers" by setting aside approximately 26 MFP slots that were not used last year, and they will have another 24 MFP slots, that will not be used this year - that is about 50 slots, that no one in the brain injury community can qualify for! And MFP will have 54 more slots added to the Waiver each year for the next three years! And then there are the DMHAS applicants who also get "reservations" at the restaurant - oh, sorry, I meant the Waiver, leaving many who have no services to languish without any real chance of obtaining a position on the ABI Waiver.

Now, in clear retribution for a denial of their proposal to outsource the Waiver, DSS has announced that due to the denial, "staff shortages" are so severe they will not be able to activate or process plans for the only 13 open slots left on the Waiver even when the money is available to do so.

I hope you are all aware of the loss of cognitive behavioral services to survivors, caused by the change made to that service, but I also realize this is getting long, and I hope you will ask myself or CTBISN to explain what has occurred and why all survivors on the Waiver have had their services reduced.

Please remember and think about the fact that DSS is toying with people's lives based on who saves the State of Connecticut the most money. It's wrong and CT should be ashamed of the Commissioner and DSS!

I encourage this committee and all legislators to do what is right. Tell DSS they must provide the slots as written in the waiver application and provide survivors with a representative who treats us like human beings!

Thank you for your time,

I sent this out to governor Malloy asking him for Help what a surprise I got no response from him or his office.

Governor Malloy I am writing to you today for your help; My name is Craig Sears and I am a brain injury survivor receiving services from ABI Waiver one,

On January 11th (Please see attached file), I sent a letter to Commissioner Bremby after a meeting with my ABI team and my advocate from Protection and Advocacy, they suggested I make a formal complaint to Commissioner Bremby and Governor Dan Malloy.

I did not write the letter to attack anyone, but at the same time, I have the right to ensure that no one from the Department of Social Services attacks me, for this reason, I asked that Kathy Bruni no longer be allowed to attack me or my staff. I have been repeatedly disrespected by her, in meetings, hearings, and recently, when she pulled my staff aside and told them she felt "sorry" for them because they work with me. I did nothing to invite the attack from Mrs. Bruni except raise my concerns as an advocate for myself and other survivors. It is difficult to understand why Commissioner Bremby asked Ms. Bruni to represent brain injury survivors when she is repeatedly disrespectful to us. Can you imagine how painful her comments were to me?

Many people in our community are appalled by her lack of understanding and the quick anger when we question anything she says. She insults survivors, attempts to manipulate families, and tries to bully providers. She has done this repeatedly, and although family members, survivors and providers are afraid to say this out loud for fear of retribution by DSS and by Ms. Bruni, I am not.

I also told Commissioner Bremby that since Ms. Bruni attacked me publicly, she must apologize publicly. In response, Commissioner Bremby wrote back to me and asked me to "move on" from the public attack that Mrs. Bruni initiated against me.

I do not appreciate that response from him as I and many others, saw how he responded when he did not like what was being said in a public Hearing in the Spring of 2014 about his statements. He was so angry that his staff had to stop him from going to the podium to confront the speaker. This is well documented from an independent video recording of the Hearing. DSS has and to this day continues to target that speaker by conducting an illegal audit, it is my understanding that they continue to pursue that individual to this day. So, I find it hypocritical of DSS and Commissioner Bremby, to tell me to "move on" in my handling of my situation with Mrs. Bruni, as it clear DSS does not do the same.

In addition, it has come to my attention that Commissioner Bremby and DSS are manipulating the slots on the ABI Waiver. They are picking "winners" and "losers" by setting aside approximately 26 MFP slots that were not used last year, and they will have another 24 MFP slots, that will not be used this year - that is about 50 slots, that no one in the brain injury community can qualify for! And MFP will have 54 more slots added to the Waiver each year for the next three years! And then there are the DMHAS applicants who also get "reservations" on the Waiver, leaving many who have no services to languish without any real chance of obtaining a position on the ABI Waiver.

Now, in clear retribution for a denial of their proposal to outsource the Waiver, DSS has announced that due to the denial, "staff shortages" are so severe they will not be able to activate or process plans for the only 13 open slots left on the Waiver even when the money is available to do so. DSS must provide the slots as written in the waiver application and provide survivors with a representative who treats us like human beings!

I hope you are all aware of the loss of cognitive behavioral services to survivors, caused by the change made to that service, but I also realize this is getting long, and I hope you will ask myself or CTBISN to explain what has occurred and why all survivors on the Waiver have had their services reduced.

Please remember and think about the fact that DSS is toying with people's lives based on who saves the State of Connecticut the most money. It's wrong and CT should be ashamed of the Commissioner and DSS!